[BOOK REVIEW: This Is Awkward by Sammy Rhodes]
Last week, I started and finished reading his book.
- Honest. Because the whole idea behind the book is to show “How Life’s Uncomfortable Moments Open the Door to Intimacy and Connection,” Sammy doesn’t hide behind a veil when it comes to rough points of his life.
- Funny. While his twitter adventure was a disaster, he is actually funny (even if in a slightly self-deprecating manner at times). I laughed out loud when he described his wedding – his wife really does love him if she actually got married to that “offspring of a hot dog and a raccoon” 😀
- Deep. I have highlighted quite a few quotes. While he doesn’t get deep into theology, he says things that are somewhat so obvious that we forget about them altogether.
- Easy to read. His main writing experience is writing for his blog and it shows. Like I said, I got through the book quite quickly (and my reading time is limited to 22-minute-long metro rides to and from work.)
- There’s a lot for introverts. Even a guide to survival at a party 🙂
Bottomline: I enjoyed it. Granted, I would take away some of the details he’d share in the beginning of each part, but some of those were good too.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”